Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Nano Update

For those of you doing Nano, here's a handy link with icons and a status bar.

I thought I would post today concerning my nano progress.

Sadly, my word count is nowhere near as high as I would like it to be. And it's not because of lack of time.

It's because I was sick.

It's hard enough that Thanksgiving is in November. That's an entire weekend in which you can't write because if you do, you must hate your family and family togetherness and am horrible antisocial. But to be sick? When you're trying to write a novel in a month? That's just rubbing salt in the wound.

I hadn't been sleeping well on the 3rd and 4th and chalked it up to winter coming but when I woke up Friday, I knew. I knew I was sick. And a few hours later, I was running a fever of 101. Intermittent fever, chills, sweats, aches, migraines, nasty cough, sore throat, I was not in good shape, especially because I couldn't sleep either.

So, on the 6th, my word count was only 6,749. When, by Nano standards, it should be at least 10,000.

But now I'm feeling much better and am ready to attack my keyboard and type like a madwoman! As of right now, my word count is 13,097 and climbing! I hope to type a lot more than 50K this month so we'll just have to wait and see how high my word count reaches by the 30th.

As for PiBo, I have notes jotted down for 11 ideas so far, so I'll definitely be able to reach 30 ideas by the 30th. :)

For the rest of my fellow Nanoers, how is your story coming along? Want to post your word count in the comments section? For those not venturing in the insanity, how are your writing projects coming along?

12 comments:

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Congrats on the upward climbing word count. That's what NaNo's about, I guess, as any other month we might be content with the ebb and flow of our work.

I challenged myself to a thousand word a day count on my WIP, and it has worked...I know, it's not NaNo standards, but it's still helping me.

Colene Murphy said...

Awe, you're doing just fine especially considering you were sick! I'd say that is great progress!

Mara Nash said...

Good job! NaNo can be brutal and unforgiving, but it's inspirational too! I'm staying on track so far. And I write over Thanksgiving weekend anyway...not on Thanksgiving day, but the rest of the weekend!

Anyway, good luck and keep up the good work!

Windy Aphayrath said...

Sorry to hear you've been under the weather! Hopefully your health is improving, because it can be a nightmare to try to write coherently when you don't feel well.

I'm not doing NaNo this year, but I'm definitely using the energy around me of everyone who is to boost up my daily word counts! The biggest thing to remember about NaNo, I think, is that pacing is all well and good, but you'll have some fantastic days as you get going on your project that may make up for the days you didn't write as much.

Good luck!

Cherie Reich said...

I think you're doing great, especially for being sick for a while.

I'm at 17,698 words on my NaNo novel. I went through part of Sunday and most of Monday hating my novel, so since I was ahead in my word count, I read through the first 50 pages (double spaced). I added a couple scenes here and there. Fixed a couple typos and felt much better about the novel than I had been.

I'm really, really hoping to be at 20,000 words by the end of the day. *crosses fingers*

Good luck with your novel!

Kate Larkindale said...

Hope you're feeling better. Trying to do anything when you're sick is a pain in the butt, let alone write.

I'm just over 20k on my NaNo book, but I did start again on day 3. Hoping to crack the 25K mark today since I have the day off from work.

Talli Roland said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear you've not been well!

I'm not doing NaNo, but I wish everyone who is doing it good luck!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I went over the target word count yesterday for the first time. Been lagging behind by a couple hundred words each day. Doubt you'll have any trouble finishing now!

Golden Eagle said...

That's an awesome wordcount, especially since you were sick! (I'm very glad you're better now.)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you were a bit bogged down, but glad that you're feeling better.

I have an award for you at my blog :-)

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! NaNo is hard enough without the stress of sickness.

Good luck!

Ishta Mercurio said...

You go, girl!

My NaNo count is way low - but my outline is looking AMAZING. My mother is in town from England for the first two weeks of November. I'm writing when I can, and planning like crazy so when she goes back to England I can let my thoughts flow and my fingers fly. I hope.