Friday, November 19, 2010

Friendly Friday

I love horses. I used to tease hubby that I wanted two mustangs: the car and the horse.
Credit for picture
One time, hubby took me horseback riding as a date. I absolutely loved it even though I had no idea what I was doing. But it was incredible.

Then on our honeymoon in Hawaii, we took an excursion riding horses. We even went into the water. Now that was a thrilling experience! The backdrop of sapphire blue water. And I'll never forget our tour guide. Crazy guy, we're pretty sure that when he left our group for a little while, that he was enjoying a smoke. Yeah. Crazy.

One of my former coworkers back when I worked as a chemist owned a horse and took horseback riding lessons. We got to talking about riding and she gave me the phone number of the place. I signed up for lessons, once a week.


At first, it was hard. My legs didn't appreciate riding on such a large creature. And my allergies certainly didn't like it. But I continued with my lessons, got to be somewhat decent.


Then I became pregnant with son #1. I had to stop taking lessons. It's not safe. Although I had never fallen off of Jake, I couldn't risk it.


I still haven't resumed lessons. There's no point to, right now at least. I plan on having two more children. Might as well wait until they're all in school. But I will return, someday.


There's something majestic about riding a horse. Being so high off the ground, guiding a horse to where you want to go. I love everything about riding.


Have you ever gone horseback riding?

16 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I would love to go horseback riding, but alas, I have not. My cousin used to own a horse, but it wasn't at their property. The horse was kept at a stable a bit away, and they had to travel to ride. I think horses are amazing animals.

Anonymous said...

I haven't ever gone borseback riding. I'd like to try it, though. It just seems so . .. . romantic.

Love the picture.

Happy Friday.

Unknown said...

I grew up on a farm, but have only been riding a few times. My knees still hurt ... :)

Beautiful picture and happy Friday!

Linda Kage said...

I've always wanted a mustang (the car) too! The only time I've been on a horse was when I went to Colorado. A group of us got to ride them through the mountains. It was cool.

Golden Eagle said...

I've been on ponies before, but never a horse. I wish I knew how to ride--it seems like fun!

Sophia said...

I rode with my mum every week for a few years until the place we rode at went downhill. I don't understand why, if you love riding so much as to want a horse, you don't do it now. As long as you're not pregnant right this second you may as well, right? It's like when people say they want to write a book 'someday'- write it now, in the 15 minutes at the doctor's office. If you want to ride, ride.
- Sophia.

Bast said...

I've really wanted to learn horseback riding, but I'm allergic. On a vacation to the Phillipines, I went -- not knowing I was allergic at the time -- and ended up breaking out in hives all over my body (despite being completely covered) and not being able to breathe. Definitely not fun. I still love horses, but at a distance.

Talli Roland said...

I went in Cairo around the pyramids and I have to say, the power of the horse was a little bit scary! It was really enjoyable though, and we got some great photos of the desert, the pyramids and the horse!

Southpaw said...

Wow, people have ridden horses in some awesome areas. I’ve ridden a few place, my favorite though was in the mountains in Oregon.

Vicki Rocho said...

I'm like you. I love it, but have no idea what I'm doing. On hookie day 2 years ago the girls and I went riding. My daughter's horse hurt his leg and so I spent the whole trip worrying that he was okay.

Actually, now that I think about it, I didn't have a horse. I got a mule. Somehow that seems fitting, doesn't it?

Carol Riggs said...

I went horseback riding...once. My husband and 2 daughters went for a guided trail ride in an Oregon state park (Silver Falls), and it was fun. I was sooooo sore afterward though, for about 3 days, and that was not as fun. Just not built to ride a horse, I guess! I'd rather own a cat that ride a horse. LOL

Theresa Milstein said...

I rode for a short time when I was a teenager. I did enjoy it, so I don't know why I stopped. Maybe the cost.

Now that I'm older, I'm more intimidated by them.

I know what you mean about stopping things that seem dangerous. Since getting pregnant with my first, I no longer mountain bike.

Carol Riggs said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, Nicole! I answered there too, but to answer your question about where I get my dragons: I've bought my babies in various places. The Oregon coast, and a collectibles store in Portland, Oregon. Alternative-type stores, and even in variety stores like Bi-Mart has a few (tiny ones). Online has some too. The glass dragon I bought in northern California at a glass-blowing shop along I-5.

Luna said...

Until about four years ago I hadn't ridden a horse since I was a kid. It was fun and such a rush! Three years ago I went riding when I was in Vermont. It was a gorgeous fall day. Great memories!

Julie Musil said...

I went once as a child, back when I was a Girl Scout :)

We live in a rural area, and we're surrounded by horses. Although we don't ride them, I love watching our neighbors ride the trails around our home. AND our new library has a hitching post and water trough for horses. You'd love it!

Great job on nano!

Cherie Reich said...

I would love to go horseback riding someday. The only things I've ridden was a pony at the fair, a camel, an elephant, and a cow. Yes, I've ridden a cow. Well, sat on it is more like it. I'd still love to learn how to ride a horse one day, though.