Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Magic - Writing like Crazy!

I have found my own personal magic for making myself more productive.

And yes, I think it's magical.

*drumroll please*

It's a timer!

Ok, enough goofing off and more seriously, using a timer has made me so much more focused on my writing. I set the timer for 30 minutes and type. Usually when the timer dings, I want to continue typing. When I want to stop and take a break, I'll set it for 10-15 minutes and goof off, go on FB or visit blogs or write new blog posts. When it dings, back to work!

It may not sound like anything special or even magical, but it has been a lifesaver for me. I can only write when my boys nap together (which is usually not the case) or if I sacrifice sleep and go to bed really late or get up early and write before they wake up. By using the timer, I force myself to use my time more wisely.

So I think it's magic. It's definitely working too. Before the magic timer, I used to average 1K an hour. Not bad. But now, I write just over 1K in 30 minutes. Insane, you betcha!

So what about you? Do you have any tricks or tips for using your time wisely or to make yourself more productive?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH yeah. I meet up with another writer in a chat room or on MSN chat and we "sprint." We start and then go for an hour and then check in on how many words we got done.

It's nice to have that accountability. IT's great.

Talli Roland said...

I think I might have to make use of that timer idea, particularly lately! I seem to be unable to focus!

Cherie Reich said...

A timer is a really good idea. I sometimes write by word counts. I'll sit down and say "write 500 words" or "write 1000 words." Before I know it, I've increased my word count.

Golden Eagle said...

I've never tried a timer--the ticking would probably get on my nerves after a while.

Since I will occasionally check my word counts like crazy, to see how much I've written, I'll prop a little paper square up over the computer screen where the word count is. It also keeps me from seeing the browser launch icon. :P

Julie Musil said...

Yay for timers! That's an excellent way to manage your time wisely. Otherwise time gets away from us to fast.

When I need an extra push, I use Write or Die. I used it today to get 2,000 words done. Worked like a charm. Oh, and I have to shut off all social media when I'm writing. I'm easily distracted!

Awesome job on nano!

Amy Lamont said...

Ooo, I've used timers to motivate myself to clean, but I've never applied it to my writing. Good idea!

And someone else just pointed me in the direction of Write or Die. I'm going to have to go check it out.