Monday, April 11, 2011

Creature Mondays

Before I post today's creature, I just wanted to remind everyone about my contest. Read all of the details here and be sure to enter!

Link
Today's picture is the Chupacabra. Chupacabra means "goat sucker" which is fitting because the monster has been blamed for attacks on livestock, including goats. About 3 feet high with leathery greenish-gray skin, sharp spines down its back, the Chupacabra also has fangs and a forked tongue. Supposedly it hops on its hind legs like a kangaroo, hisses or screeches when alarmed, and emits a sulphuric smell.

Chupacabra was first reported seen in Puerto Rico in 990. It attacks animals by their blood through small, circular incisions. Some say that the Chupacabra is an alien species with supernatural powers, such as hypnosis. It uses hypnosis on animals through its eyes so it can suck the blood of its prey through its hollow fangs.

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've heard of this creature. Think there was a photo of one in the news recently, although they deemed it to be a coyote or something.

Stina said...

I've never heard of it. Not exactly a cute and cuddly fellow is he?

Love the idea, Nicole, of creature Monday. Almost makes my wish I wrote fantasy or paranormal novels (or maybe it'll inspire me to write one). :D

KM Nalle said...

I remember hearing about Chupacabre on the X-Files. I thought it was a creepy creature back then. That picture gives me shivers.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Ooh, this one is a creeper. *shivers*

Anonymous said...

So that's what a chupacabra looks like - I've only ever heard of them. Creepy.

-Vicki

Creepy Query Girl said...

yikes! LOL I'm loving these strange creature posts!

Unknown said...

Lost Tapes on the Animal Planet recently did an episode on the Chupacabra. It's an interesting animal. (if you haven't seen the show - they are fake stories about mythical animals done like home videos).

Laila Knight said...

I've been hearing about those for years. I heard somewhere that they were equated to vampires. Love your fairies.

The Words Crafter said...

Mulder and Scully investigated one of these on X-Files.

Creepy and very interesting!