Friday, February 10, 2012

Emotion Flash Fiction - I'm Hearing Voices! Character Blogfest

  
Emotion Flash Fiction: Emotion is the engine of a story. Pick an emotion and in a flash fiction piece of 250 words MAKE us feel it! We want to connect with your character. This will be a challenge in 250 words.

The moon hung heavy in the sky with an ethereal glow. My heels clacked on the sidewalk. A few more twists and turns and I would be home.

“Excuse me, miss.”

The deep voice startled me, and I whirled around.

A tall man gave me a broad smile, the moonlight glittering off his perfect white teeth. “I think you dropped this.” He held his hand out.

Frowning, I stepped back. “I didn’t drop anything.” A sudden wind picked up, and I clenched my jacket closed, my other hand reaching into my purse for the only weapon I had—my keys. I rushed away.

Footsteps followed behind me, and I quickened my pace. So did he, and soon I was all out running. I glanced behind me. He was gaining on me, his dark clothes flapping in the wind like a cloak.

A crack in the sidewalk caused one of my heels to break, and I fell. My purse contents scattered. I grabbed my wallet when the man stepped forward, his right foot on my keys.

I slowly stood. “What do you want from me?” I asked, furious that my voice shook.

“I think you dropped this,” he repeated.

I glared at him. “What did I drop?”

He opened his mouth wide. “Your guard.”

A long arm snaked around me. I loosed a scream and struggled against him but was no match for his brute strength. His glittery teeth were the last things I saw. No, not teeth. Fangs.

15 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Wow, I actually shivered while reading this! Excellent work!

Jessie Harrell said...

oh dang - great emotions. I can't wait to read what romance you have for us tomorrow in the That's YAmore Blogfest. :)

Angela Cothran said...

Was screaming--KICK OFF YOUR HEELS!!! She didn't listen. Love this Nicole. Witty dialogue in the midst of the terror.

Cassie Mae said...

Seriously going to have nightmares!!!!

AGH!

Theresa Milstein said...

Oh no! Great entry.

Jackie said...

Scary, but good! Nice work here!

Jackie said...

P.S. I love scary stuff!!!

Sharon Bayliss said...

I glared at him. “What did I drop?”

He opened his mouth wide. “Your guard.”

Very creepy. Good stuff.

Author Roast and Toast said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hywela Lyn said...

Great tension, working up to that final speech about 'dropping your guard'. Very creepy and I could feel her fear and just wanted to read on!

Lisa said...

Ooh, very interesting! I liked the pacing, and not knowing until the end if she really had dropped something or not (my prediction was that she really had dropped something, and he was going to be a nice guy after all. Much more fun your way. :))

LJ Moz said...

“I think you dropped this.” He held his hand out.

OMGoodness! What a page turner!!


Didn't see ending coming :~O
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!!

Unknown said...

Great job! I totally didn't see the ending coming!

Anonymous said...

That was great! I definitely enjoyed reading that.

Jessica Salyer said...

Thanks for sharing this Nicole. This is great. It truly gave me chills.