Monday, January 30, 2012

Creature of the Week - Bear Dog

Credit for picture
The bear dog is an extinct prehistoric animal that is believed to be an ancestor of both bears and dogs while being neither bear nor dog. They were carnivorous.
Credit for picture
They were about as tall as the American black bear. Their legs were made for short, sudden bursts of speed so they were most likely ambushers. Bear dogs nested their young in underground burrows.
Credit for picture
In one of my completed but needs to be revised stories, there is an Enchanted Jungle which is home to many unique and fantastic creatures. I included the bear dog because I thought the combination of a bear and a dog was too cool to pass up.

13 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Okay I'd definitely be running from that middle one. So interesting it's the ancestor of dogs & bears.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A fantasy creature that was actually real!

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Reading this makes we wonder how bears and dogs evolved on their own. lol

I like this guy!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Very interesting, I love dogs but bears are another matter altogether,
Wonderful post.
Yvonne.

Tonja said...

I don't write fantasy, but now I have the urge to write a story with a creature like this in it. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

The one in picture number two is awesome. I want one! However, the one in the last picture is...horror movie weird with the rat tail.

Sarah Allen said...

Ooh, this is pretty cool :) They're almost saber-tooth like.

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Lori M. Lee said...

I am personally a fan of the polar bear dog in The Legend of Korra. Totally want one! =P

Angela Brown said...

This immediately made me think of The Last Airbender. There were rately animals that were just one thing. Lion turle, elephant coi and so many others. This bear dog would have fit right in :-)

Will said...

I've never heard of these! It kinda makes sense, but damn, those are savage looking beasts!

Colene Murphy said...

Pretty! I want one!

Golden Eagle said...

Those are cool creatures!

roro said...

i loved ang
rad creature