Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Weekly Progress Report - Nano and crazy goals and picture books

I'm sure most of you know that November is National Novel Writing Month and that www.Nanowrimo.org is a website that links together the crazy writers that try to write a 50K novel in the 30 days of November. I'm one of those crazy writers. If you want to link up as writing buddies, I'm there as Scarlett9284

This is my seventh Nano attempt. I won all of the previous six times I tried. I skipped one year, the November after I gave birth to son #1. I wasn't about to try with a one month old.

Anyhow, despite the craziness with the end of October weather and the power being out, I wasn't going to let anything hold me back. I was doing Nano this year.

This started out well, on pace for 50K for the month. Then day 4 happened and I had a really good writing day.

And I decided that my goal is to not write 50K of a novel in November. I want to write the entire first draft of Crystal's Magic this month. It's a paranormal YA so my aim is to write 80K. The story might end up being a little short (hopefully not longer than that though).

Right now, my word count is 20,730, just about right on pace for reaching 80K on the 30th.

Some teasers from Crystal's Magic:

     Lightning flashed, casting eerie shadows across her path. Thunder roared like an angry lioness. Sleet slashed across her cheeks, mixing with the tears that streamed down her face.

     A woman with long chocolate brown hair and soft brown eyes stared at her, a wide smile on her face. The tall man beside her wore the same smile, his dark hair streaked with a little white on the side.
     Her mom didn’t know Crystal had this picture--a picture of her real mom and dad.


     "But you, you I want to live for today. Promise me that you’ll always live for today, no matter what tomorrow may bring."

     Yes, biologically, Regina was her aunt, but Regina had raised her nearly her whole life. Surely that made her her mom.

     The front door opened.
     Crystal headed toward it. “Hi,” she said, but no one stood in the doorway.


     Years ago, cemeteries had terrified her. Now all she felt was peace, a completeness, as if the cycle of life to death was the natural order, and that whether or not there was life after death didn’t matter.
     Although, of course, she did believe in Heaven.

     The visions of her future—her hair had been longer. Could a simple haircut be a way to ensure the future was changed?

     Why not try it and find out? She certainly didn’t want to die any time soon.

---

In addition to doing Nano, I'm also taking part in PiBoIdMo - picture book idea month where you try to come with with 30 ideas for picture books in the month of November.

I've already come up with 30 ideas. My next step is to outline them and maybe start some, while trying to come up with more ideas.

Are you doing Nano? How's your progress? What have you been up to this past week?


Check out some other great progress report this week:

http://www.writersally.blogspot.com/
http://jc-martin.com/fighterwriter/
http://waibelworld.blogspot.com
http://susanfieldswriter.blogspot.com
http://skmayhew.blogspot.com/p/tuesday-wip-status.html
http://margoberendsen.blogspot.com
http://www.sherryauger.blogspot.com
http://www.susanoloier.blogspot.com--in/
http://carrieannebrownian.wordpress.com/
http://lynneawest.blogspot.com

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not participating this year. Sounds like you will hit it no problem. Last year Jen hit 50,000 in five days, so 80,000 in thirty days shouldn't be a problem!

Anonymous said...

First is to Alex - 50K in 5 days?! Holy Hell!

Good luck, Nicole! I'm striving for 60K, so we'll see.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Great word count!! And I'm with Joshua - 50K in 5 days??? Maybe there is hope for me after all.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're well on your way to getting it knocked out, Nicole! Good luck!

EJ

Cherie Reich said...

You're doing a great job! I love the lines "The visions of her future—her hair had been longer. Could a simple haircut be a way to ensure the future was changed?" My Prophetesses should've thought of that. *winks*

Good luck with the picture book ideas and such too!

I'm at just over 26k this morning. So far, so good to reach my goals of two books this month. :)

Susan Oloier said...

Wow, Nicole! You are A-mazing!!! Especially being a mom, too!
I just buddied you on NaNo. My progress report won't be posted until later. I only have an hour of writing this am, then I have to do a training today. Why do other things always get in the way of writing? Glad you're making such incredible progress. Way to go! I love the teasers.

Charity Bradford said...

Wow! How do you find the time to write? Let me rephrase that. How do you find quiet time to write? My little one can't stop asking for something every 5 minutes to save his life. I just can't settle into the groove.

I'm on track (almost) for my 50K, but I'd love to jump ahead and get the whole draft down. No goal for word count, just want the story down beginning to end.

Congrats on your word count and the picture book ideas!

J.C. Martin said...

Some great imagery in those teasers! If that is a rough draft, I am impressed!

Len Lambert said...

I haven't tried NaNo yet. I was so close to doing it this year. All the best!

Unknown said...

Wow, you're on fire! Good for you. I barely made 1k today, but something it always better than nothing.

Anonymous said...

What an accomplishment to do NaNo for so many years! I haven't tried it yet but I want to! Good luck:):)