Editing is not always an easy process. Authors tend to get too close to their stories to be able to see mistakes or plot holes or other issues. It's important to have critique partners and beta readers but sometimes, you need more.
That's where hiring an editor might be a good idea.
If you're in the market for an editor, I hope you'll consider me. I've been working as a freelance editor and proofreader for various small presses for awhile now. I love editing and my favorite part is helping an author to make their story shine even more than it already does.
- Grammar, spelling, punctuation, typos
- Overlook of the big picture, the plot points, the characters, inconsistency, voice, head hopping, POV slips.
- Does not include editing or proofreading
- Overused words, tenses, clarity, pacing, dialogue, structure, readability, tone, point of view, clichés, crutch words, awkward sentences, showing versus telling, description, setting, etc.
- Includes critique and proofreading.
- $1.00 for 1K
- $2.00 per 1K
- As I already mentioned, I think it's important that authors use critique partners and beta readers before hiring an editor so that their manuscript is already shining so I charge by the hour, not by word count or pages. The better shape your story already is in, the less you have to pay me for editing.
- Send me your first chapter (up to 10 pages). This sample I will edit for free. Based on this sample, I will determine the price of a complete edit. There is no obligation at this point to hire me.
- I can do a chapter or partial edit in addition to a full MS
- Half of the payment is due upfront.
- Rush is available for an additional charge.
- A discount is available if you want a second round of edits.
- You can pay through paypal or by check. Your check must clear before I start to work on your MS.
- Editor and proofreader for various publishers
- 7 novels and short stories published by small presses
- 15 short stories published in anthologies
- Double-spaced, 1" margins, TNR, font 12
- Send to Nicole.Zoltack@gmail.com
- Any genre, any MS, even picture books. I have experience editing fiction and non-fiction.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. And feel free to email me any questions you have after I return your MS.
I look forward to working with you!