Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Reviewng Wednesday - Thor


Hubby and I saw Thor on Saturday and we both loved it!

From IMDB- The powerful but arrogant warrior Thor is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth, where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders.

I went into the movie not knowing what to expect. I purposely read nothing about the movie, isntead wanting to be surprised.

And I was surprised - by how awesome the movie was! The special effects were amazing, the movie was visually stunning. There were many great lines of dialogue, and I chuckled several times (I don't usually laugh when watching movies.) I personally don't care for Natalie Portman as an actress but she did fairly well in this film and didn't annoy me as she normally does (my theory - because Thor didn't center on her character).

I really enjoyed the characters. All were well cast. Anthony Hopkins was perfect as Odin and I nearly squealed when I first saw him on his horse (I'm a geek for mythological creatures - you know that about me already) (maybe I'll do his horse for the next creature post). Chris Hemsworth was swoonworthy as Thor, tough and arrogant, he portrayed him well.

But Tom Hiddleston as Loki stole the show. He was amazing, his emotions spot on. Wonderful villian. I also enjoyed Thor's band of friends, and loved Sif, the female warrior! Tough as nails and yet gorgeous too.

If you're thinking about seeing Thor, I would suggest you drop everything and run to the closest theater. I absolutely loved the movie.

Have you seen Thor? Do you plan on seeing it? Do you like comic book movies?

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole, Thor looks smoking hot too! ;) I am not into comic book movies and have heard this is positioned as a kids movie - but it looks awfully dark and violent to me for my 8 year old. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Erin said...

Hi Nicole! I also went to see Thor (as my Mother's Day gift) and thought it was AMAZING. I didn't know anything about it either so I didn't know what to expect. My only qualm was the ending b/c I felt there was something missing - but my hubby clarified that after the movie. I totally agree that everyone should see it.

Cherie Reich said...

I'm hoping to see Thor eventually. It looks really good and I love Norse mythology and such.

katsrus said...

Thanks Nicole. At first I wasn't going to see it cause the reviews I read were mixed. Some good some not so good. Now I want to see it. I really love these kind of movies.
I am watching Game of Thrones on HBO. Have you seen that show? It's really good.
Sue B

Lori M. Lee said...

Great review :D I loved Thor too.

Unknown said...

It sounds like a great one! I'll have to check it out when it comes on DVD. :D

Laila Knight said...

Thanks. I've been meaning to go see it. Thor was one of my faves, and I love the outfit...^-^...

ali cross said...

Yes! I can't wait to go see it! Thanks for the review Nicole!

Krispy said...

Saw it this weekend and loved it! I was expecting it to be awful initially, but then I heard it was getting all these great reviews and Kenneth Branagh directed it (and I love him!) So all in all, it was a treat.

Totally agree with you that Tom Hiddleston was perfect as Loki (but I like Natalie Portman, so we'll have to disagree there, haha).

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I thought Thor rocked! Hemsworth was born to play that role. What is it with Australian guys, anyway?

Stina said...

I love Norse Mythology, but I was afraid the movie would make a joke of it. Guess I'll have to see it after all. :D

Janice Seagraves said...

I saw Thor on Sunday with hubby and our daughter and her BF, and it blew me away.

We wore the three-D glasses and the three-D effect was wonderful. Lovely visuals.

Chris Hemsworth is so handsome and when I read about him later I found out he's an Aussie. Which I thought was totally cool.

The only thing that was a tiny disappointment--I would have liked to Thor without his shirt more than the one time. ;)

Janice~

Kittie Howard said...

Norse mythology has always been a fav. Hope to see Thor this wkend. (Your review made me want to see it Right Now. Great job!)

Theresa Milstein said...

Now I have to see Thor! I'll take my son.

You have a few more comments on Tuesday's post on my blog. Should stop now because I just put up a new post today.

I'll check out your link.

Rebecca Bradley said...

That's a strong recommendation. I may have to check it out!

Okie said...

I went in with low expectations and utterly enjoyed the film. Tons of fun and quite well done.

LTM said...

LOL! Everybody loves Thor!!! I keep reading great reviews everywhere, and I had zero expectations for this film. Looks like now I'll have to go see it~ :D Thanks, Nicole~

Anonymous said...

I love Thor, too. It was awesome but you are right Loki was a great villain. I love him more than Thor but I was fall the villain (on occasion).