Friday, April 20, 2012

Hunger Games Book Review

It's been a little while since I've posted a book review. I would love to do one a week but that's not realistic so I'll aim for at least one a month.

Because the movie came out, I desperately wanted to read the trilogy before I saw the Hunger Games movie. It didn't take me long to read the all three books.

From Goodreads: Could you survive on your own, in the wild, with everyone out to make sure you don't live to see the morning?

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before-and survival.

My review: The Hunger Games was a fast-paced, well written story that grips you from the first sentence and doesn't let go. It's one of those stories that you can't get out of your head, one that haunts your dreams.

I love to read action and adventure stories. This one was definitely not lacking in action! And Katniss is a wonderful character. Peeta is so sweet, Gale a perfect best friend.

The Hunger Games touches deep subject matter. Just how far are you willing to go to survive? Would you volunteer to take someone else's place knowing that you will have to kill or be killed and will most likely die for you efforts?

Stories that I can't stop thinking about weeks after I've finished reading them make up most of my favorite stories. Hunger Games was one such story.

Have you read the Hunger Games? What did you think of it? Did you see the movie?

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I still need to see the movie.

Vick said...

Watched the movie, and once out of the theater, I needed to know what happens after. Since the first book was already taken at the library, I took the second one: Catching Fire. It was amazing. Like you said, a book that you can't put down, and haunts your dreams. I'm in the middle of the last book right now: Mockingjay, and can't wait to be home tonight to jump right back in. Wish that there was more books like that out there. Can't wait for the other movies to get out too!

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Yes, Hunger Games does stick with you...an amazing series!

Johanna Garth said...

I loved the first book but wasn't crazy about the next two.

Patti said...

I read the books and I've seen the movie. I liked the books better.

Julie Hedlund said...

Yes, I have read the trilogy and it was amazing. I think the question is not just how far you will go to survive, but what does survival really mean? Survival of the body, survival of the soul? Great series!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Well revieved. Made great reading.

Yvonne.

Cherie Reich said...

I loved the book and movie! Now I need to read the other two, but I don't know when yet. Just too much to read and too little time.

Angela Brown said...

I enjoyed reading the Hunger Games novel. Suzanne Collins utilized the present tense in a smart way and kept things in the moment while consistently moving the story forward so it didn't end up feeling passive.

I have not seen the movie but look forward to doing so.

Savannah Chase said...

I have not read the books or seen the movie yet...

Erin O'Riordan said...

I've read the first book, and I agree with your assessment - it was fast-paced and hard to put down. I'm almost done with the second one now.

Beth said...

I loved Hunger Games and Catching Fire. I didn't love Mockingjay as much.