Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Writer's Jealousy

Jealousy by ~cold-summer

Have you ever read a book and just been spellbound by its greatness? Felt as if you're a failure of a writer because you can never measure up to its pure genius? The green-eyed monster rears its ugly head and whispers in your ear that you aren't good enough.

That's happened to me a few times. I've wished I could have written that book or inspired that movie. After a few moments, the feeling passes though. And I always feel more committed afterward. After all, why can't I achieve greatness too? Someday I will. And I'm sure you will too.

6 comments:

Faith said...

I know the feeling... usually it passes eventually, but probably because I've stopped thinking about how wonderful the book was. Haha.

I guess it's key to remember that everyone has to start somewhere... and that book was polished and polished and polished until it became perfection. We'll get there someday!

Cherie Reich said...

I know what you mean. You read something and think, "Now, why can't I write like that?" Of course, I've had the opposite experience, too, where you read something and think, "Oh, I write way better than that." We just have to persevere and keep writing.

Kristie Cook said...

Yep, been there, too. And, like Cherie said, on the other side, as well. They've all started somewhere, though. They didn't come out of the womb writing that great. Practice, polish and perfect and you'll be there, too.

Cats! said...

I felt that way when I read Pillars of the Earth. Great big fat book. Oh, and The Glass Castle too. Felt like I was typing with ten thumbs.

Anna L. Walls said...

haha - I thought I'd just point out that when this page loads, the green eye is over the green from the background picture, and since it shows through, the eye looks like its majorly streaming green jealousy. It really looks cool.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Very true, we'll all get there someday, Faith, as long as we keep trying!

I guess I was being a pessimist, thinking only of great stories, but you're right, Cherie, there are stories I've read that I know I could write better than.

The three P's.... that just might be a blog post for another day, Kristie!

The Glass Castle was really good? I have that book but haven't read it yet, Cats.

I love the green eyed picture, Anna!